Throughout elementary, middle, and junior high school, social interactions can become increasingly complicated and difficult to manage. Learning to navigate relationships with friends, classmates, and family can be even more challenging as girls and boys also begin to explore their own identity. The Feelings through Fiction group uses a book club format to create a safe space for participants to discuss ideas and feelings common to kids their age.
- 1.5 hour sessions with snacks.
- 8 weeks of sessions.
- 9-13 year-old (girl and boy) participants.
- Costs to attend group counseling ($40 per session) may be covered by insurance.
- Scheduling flexibility since the day and time of the group sessions are determined by interest and the participant’s schedule.
Participants will learn practical skills for dealing with their emotions as well as others’ emotions. The Feelings through Fiction Group helps improve:
- Emotional awareness, expression, and regulation.
- Ability to empathize with others and engage in perspective-taking.
- Ability to communicate about and cope with challenging social situations.
- Ability to stand up for oneself and others.
The group will read Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Wonder is a heartwarming story that shows the shared insecurity, difficulties, and kindness of a group of fifth grade kids. For more details or to share this information, download our 2016 Feelings Through Fiction flyer (PDF).
Registration is required. Please contact us to register.