If you or your loved one has aphasia and you are in the Ann Arbor region, consider joining our UMAC – University of Michigan Aphasia Community group! It’s a great way to meet other people with aphasia while boosting communication skills and confidence.
UMAC is a weekly communication group offered by the University Center for Language and Literacy (UCLL) for those with aphasia. Groups are run by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist who prepares activities for varying group sizes, skill levels, and topics. Participants practice speaking and interacting in a supportive and friendly environment. Our program emphasizes functional communication that is useful for those of all communication levels.
The November session is the final session of 2018 and will include four group meetings. You are always welcome to attend the group, even if you attended the September or October sessions. Attendees will build confidence in communication skills and learn new techniques to take home after the program ends!
This group is open to those of all communication skill levels. Aphasia can be incredibly isolating and takes a toll on confidence — this group takes aim at making connections and building confidence in speech and social interactions.
What to Expect
- Large group activities emphasizing language building skills
- Small group activities with emphasis on verbal and auditory communication
- Creative activities to practice and enhance communication led by a licensed Speech Language Pathologist
- A friendly environment with participants providing social and emotional support for each other
UMAC Session Details
- When: Wednesdays, 9-11:45 a.m. October 31 to November 28 (There will be no session the week of Thanksgiving.)
- Where: UM Facilities Planning & Development Bldg. 2101 Commonwealth Blvd. Suite B., Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Cost: $140 for the 4-week session, due at time of registration.
Learn More: Visit the UMAC web page for more details and information on the next session of UMAC! You can also download the U-M Aphasia Community Flyer (PDF), which contains information on dates and times.
How to Register
Call (734) 764-8440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.