A Workshop to Enhance Student Communication Skills
If English is not your first language, and you would like to work on being more confident in your use of American English, the University Center for Language and Literacy offers a special program to help build your communication skills. We use speech and language techniques technically known as accent reduction to help non-native speakers feel more at home in their communications — whether that’s giving a presentation or taking notes in a class with a native speaker with a fast cadence. The goal of the program is certainly not to eliminate the distinctive accents of our clients, but to enhance communication skills for greater confidence in all settings. Participants will set their own objectives at the start of the workshop and work through those goals with a certified Speech and Language Pathologist, both one-on-one and in small groups to become more comfortable communicating in many different settings.
What to Expect:
- The first week session will explore your specific goals and objectives.
- Group and individual activities conversations
- Exercises for improving articulation, rate control, and projection
- Guidance from a licensed speech-language therapist
- When: Thursdays, 3:30-4:30 p.m. Jan. 11 to March 22.
- Where: 1111 E. Catherine St. Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2054
- Cost: $275.00 for the series, plus purchase of Mastering the American Accent by Lisa Mojsin.
- More information: Call 734-764-8440