If you or your loved one has aphasia and you are in the Ann Arbor region, consider joining our UMAC – University of Michigan Aphasia Community group! It’s a great way to meet other people with aphasia while boosting communication skills and confidence.
UMAC is a weekly communication group offered by the University Center for Language and Literacy (UCLL) for those with aphasia. Groups are run by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist who prepares activities for varying group sizes, skill levels, and topics. Participants practice speaking and interacting in a supportive and friendly environment. Our program emphasizes functional communication that is useful for those of all communication levels.
The group runs from September through November, but is split into monthly sessions. Each monthly session includes four group meetings. Attendees will build confidence in communication skills and learn new techniques to take home after the program ends!
This group is open to those of all communication skill levels. Aphasia can be incredibly isolating and takes a toll on confidence — this group takes aim at making connections and building confidence in speech and social interactions.
What to Expect
- Large group activities emphasizing language building skills
- Small group activities with emphasis on verbal and auditory communication
- Creative activities to practice and enhance communication led by a licensed Speech Language Pathologist
- A friendly environment with participants providing social and emotional support for each other
UMAC Session Details
- When: Wednesdays, 9-11:45 a.m. September 5-26, 2018 (four meetings)
- Where: UM Facilities Planning & Development Bldg. 2101 Commonwealth Blvd. Suite B., Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Cost: $140 for the 4-week session, due at time of registration.
Learn More: UMAC also has sessions in October and November. Visit the UMAC web page for more details on additional dates! You can also download the U-M Aphasia Community Flyer (PDF), which contains information on dates and times.
How to Register
Call (734) 764-8440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.