- Session G: July 12 - August 6 (20 days)
- Session H: Aug 9 - September 3 (20 days)
- Session I: September 7 - October 1 (19 days)
- Session J: October 4 - 29 (20 days)
- Session K: November 1 - 24 (18 days)
- Session L*: November 29 - December 22 (18 days)
- Session A: January 3 - 28 (20 days)
- Session B: January 31 - February 25 (20 days)
- Session C: February 28 - April 1 (25 days)
- Session D: April 4 - 29 (20 days)
- Session E: May 2 - 27 (20 days)
- Session F: May 31 - July 1 (24 days)
- BREAK WEEK: JULY 4 - 8
- Session G: July 11 - August 5 (20 days)
- Session H: August 8 - September 2 (20 days)
- Session I: September 6 - 30 (19 days)
- Session J: October 3 - 28 (20 days)
- Session K: October 31 - November 18 (15 days)
- Session L: November 28 - December 21 (18 days)
About the U-M Aphasia Program Sessions
Each session has a limited number of slots available. If you are thinking about attending UMAP, please contact us and let us know when you would like to secure a spot as some sessions fill quickly.
While we run on a session calendar, we also offer flexibility. If a particular start date does not work for you, please contact us at (734) 764-8440 to see what we might be able to accommodate.
We are also happy to answer whatever questions you may have or provide you with a tour before you decide if UMAP is the right fit for you or your family.
Reduced Fee Sessions
The sessions marked with * indicate our 15% off seasonal discount. This makes the months of December, January, February, and March ideal times to begin or continue work on your recovery. Ann Arbor is beautiful during the winter months. It has plenty to offer year-round, including great dining, arts and cultural events, shopping and sporting events. The discount is applicable only to in-person services and does not apply to teletherapy sessions, which are already offered at a lesser price.
If you're interested in learning more about our discount, please contact us at (734) 764-8440.
U-M Aphasia Program Costs and Insurance
The average full-time cost per week during an in-person session is about $6,000, depending on several variables. We have in-state and out-of-state financial assistance that may cover a portion of the session cost, depending on your financial situation. We also offer hybrid (online/teletherapy) programs and part-time options to accommodate different budgets, travel, and client ability (for example, if the client's stamina does not allow for the full intensive schedule).
What is Included?
The cost for the program includes individual, group, recreation, and computer-based therapies, caregiver education and support groups, homework materials, pre- and post-testing, and a comprehensive final report with detailed individualized treatment recommendations.
Housing is not included as part of the program, but we have resources to help you find a home away from home while you’re at UMAP. Each session is between 3 and 5 weeks. An average session is 20 days.
Part-Time and Reduced-Cost Options
Some clients may qualify for up to 60% reduction in fees for our in-person program, depending on a variety of factors. Please refer to the financial assistance policy information box for more specifics. Part-time options are also available.
We work with prospective clients to design the optimal therapy program within their budget.
UMAP also offers a 15% discount on in-person sessions December through March. If you have any questions, we are happy to answer them. You can call us at (734) 764-8440 or fill out the "contact us" form at the bottom of this page.
Why the Cost?
Our program is one of the most prominent in the world and is one of only 12 ICAPs (Intensive Comprehensive Aphasia Program) in the country. We have a highly dedicated team of SLPs who practice innovative and tested techniques customized to each client's needs with a goal of achieving measurable results.
Aphasia therapy is all UMAP does - all day, every day.
We've been doing this for awhile — more than 80 years, in fact. Our program, founded in 1937, pioneered intensive language therapy for people with aphasia and their families. Other aphasia programs across the country are modeled after our original model and approach.
It is difficult to find this level of intensive, innovative, and individualized approach to aphasia therapy.
Payments are made directly to UMAP. Payment of your account is due to us in three installments:
- 10% non-refundable deposit due with your application upon acceptance to the program.
- 40% payment due by the first day of therapy.
- The remainder is due during the last week of the session.
Can I Use My Insurance?
We currently do not accept insurance as a form of payment. Each insurance plan has different benefits and coverage policies for therapy and out-of-network treatment.
If you have questions about insurance or specific plans, please contact UCLL at (734) 764-8440.
Financial AssistanceClick Here to Launch the Application
Our Financial Assistance Policy enables clients who may not be able to otherwise afford our services to apply for assistance. In order to be eligible, clients must complete the secure online MARI Financial Assistance Application and meet specific criteria as identified on the Financial Assistance page.
Michigan residents may be eligible for:
- Up to 60% reduction if their income does not exceed 250% of the federal poverty guidelines and they meet other criteria for assistance.
- A 40% reduction if their household income is between 250% and 400% of the federal poverty guidelines and they meet other criteria.
Clients from outside of Michigan may receive:
- A 40% adjustment of charges if the client’s household income does not exceed 250% of the established federal poverty level guidelines set forth for the current year as well as other requirements.
- A 25% adjustment of charges if household income is between 250% and 400% of the established federal poverty level guidelines set forth for the current year as well as other requirements.