- Session J: October 1 – 25 (19 days)
- Session K: October 29 – November 16 (15 days)
- Session L*: November 26 – December 20 (19 days)
About the Sessions
Each session has a limited number of slots available. If you are thinking about attending UMAP, please contact us and let us know when you would like to secure a spot as some sessions fill quickly.
We are also happy to answer whatever questions you may have or provide you with a tour before you decide if UMAP is the right fit for you or your family.
- Session A*: January 7 – 31 (19 days)
- Session B*: February 4 – 28 (19 days)
- Session C*: March 4 – 28 (19 days)
- Session D: April 1 – 25 (19 days)
- Session E: April 29 – May 23 (19 days)
- Session F: May 28 – June 28 (24 days)
- Session G: July 8 – August 1 (19 days)
- Session H: August 5 – 29 (19 days)
- Session I: September 3 – 26 (18 days)
- Session J: September 30 – October 24 (19 days)
- Session K: October 28 – November 22 (20 days)
- Session L*: December 2 – 20 (15 days)
Reduced Fee Sessions
The sessions marked with * indicate our 15% off seasonal discount. This makes the months of December, January, February, and March ideal times to begin or continue work on your recovery. Ann Arbor is beautiful during the winter months. It has plenty to offer year-round, including great dining, arts and cultural events, shopping and sporting events. If you’re interested in learning more about our season discounts, please contact us at (734) 764-8440.
* 15% discount does not apply to group music therapy.
Ready to Apply?
Click here to get started on the application or to learn more about the process.Take Me to the Application Page
Program Costs and Insurance
The cost for the program includes individual, group, music, recreation, and computer-based therapies, caregiver education and support groups, homework materials, pre- and post-testing, and a comprehensive final report with detailed individualized treatment recommendations. Housing is not included as part of the program, but we have resources to help you find a home away from home while you’re at UMAP. Each session is between 3 and 5 weeks dependent on time of year. An average session is 19 days. The average full-time cost per week during a session is around $5,000. However, we have several financial assistance options available to help cover the costs of the session.
We also offer part time options to help accommodate different budgets, travel, and client ability (for example, if the client’s stamina does not allow for the full intensive schedule).
Part Time and Reduced-Cost Options
Some clients may qualify for up to 75% reduction in fees, depending on a variety of factors. Please refer to the financial assistance policy information box for more specifics. Part time options are available. We work with prospective clients to design the optimal therapy program within their budget. UMAP also offers a 15% discount on sessions December through March. If you have any questions, we are happy to answer them. You can call us at (734) 764-8440 or fill out the “contact us” form at the bottom of this page.
Please note: The MARI financial assistance policy is changing on Jan. 1, 2019. We will continue to provide extensive discounts up to 60% for in-state clients starting in 2019.
Why the Cost?
Our program is one of the most prominent in the world and is one of only 12 ICAPs (Intensive Comprehensive Aphasia Program) in the country. We have a highly dedicated team of SLPs who practice innovative and tested techniques customized to each client’s needs with a goal of achieving measurable results.
We’ve also been doing this for awhile. Our program, founded in 1937, is widely regarded as the first intensive language therapy for those with aphasia — and other programs across the country are modeled from our original approach.
It is difficult to find this level of intensive, innovative, and individualized approach to aphasia therapy.
Payments are made directly to UMAP. Payment of your account is due to us in three installments:
- 10% non-refundable deposit due with your application upon acceptance to the program.
- 40% payment due by the first day of therapy.
- The remainder is due during the last week of the session.
Can I Use My Insurance?
We cannot directly accept insurance as a form of payment. Each insurance plan has different benefits and coverage policies for therapy and out-of-network treatment. We are happy to assist you in filing insurance claims to try and get reimbursement from non-Medicare/Medicaid insurers. Results will vary based on your specific plan. Please feel free to call and ask to speak to our billing representative with insurance-related questions and we will help you navigate as best we can. We have had success with assisting clients with reimbursements from:
- Tricare (Active and Non-Active Military)
- Some Blue Cross Blue Shield plans (excluding Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plans)
- Many commercial insurance plans, including workman’s compensation, and auto insurance plans.
If you have questions about insurance or specific plans, please contact UCLL at (734) 764-8440.
Ready to Apply?
Click to get started or to learn more about the application process.Take Me to the Application Page
Our Financial Assistance Policy enables clients who may not be able to otherwise afford our services to apply for assistance. In order to be eligible, clients must complete the Financial Assistance Application (PDF) and show proof of household income. Other requirements may apply.
Michigan residents may be eligible for:
- Up to 75% reduction if their income does not exceed 250% of the federal poverty guidelines and they meet other criteria for assistance.
- A 50% reduction if their household income is between 250% and 400% of the federal poverty guidelines and they meet other criteria.
- Please Note: The financial assistance policy for in-state clients will be changing on Jan. 1, 2019.
Clients from outside of Michigan may receive:
- A 40% adjustment of charges if the client’s household income does not exceed 250% of the established federal poverty level guidelines set forth for the current year as well as other requirements.
- A 25% adjustment of charges if household income is between 250% and 400% of the established federal poverty level guidelines set forth for the current year as well as other requirements.
- 2018 Federal Poverty Guidelines Chart
- The overall MARI Financial Policy.
the Financial Assistance Application (PDF)