A new session of the U-M Aphasia Community (UMAC) group is starting soon and the new year is the perfect time to recommit to building your communication skills. All in the aphasia community are welcome to join, regardless of communication level!
Communication Group Winter Sessions
UMAC participants meet weekly to socialize with others in the aphasia community while boosting their language skills. Groups are run by a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist who prepares activities for varying group sizes, skills, and topics. Our program emphasizes functional communication that is useful for those of all communication skill levels. Through four sessions you will build confidence in your communication skills and learn new techniques to take with you after the program ends!
This group is open to those of all communication skill levels. Aphasia can be incredibly isolating and takes a toll on confidence. This group takes aim at breaking down both of those challenges by giving you the opportunity to practice your speech in a supportive and friendly environment.
Each session of the program consists of four meetings. Participants often attend multiple sessions. This winter there are sessions beginning in January, February, and March.
What to Expect
- Large group activities emphasizing language building skills
- Small group activities with emphasis on verbal and auditory communication
- Creative activities to practice and enhance communication led by a licensed Speech Language Pathologist
- A friendly environment with participants providing social and emotional support for each other
- When: Wednesdays, 9-11:45 a.m. January 8 to March 25, 2020
- Where: UM Facilities Planning & Development Bldg. 2101 Commonwealth Blvd. Suite B., Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Cost: $140 per session (4 meetings), due at time of registration.
Learn more: For a full list of 2020 session dates, visit the UMAC webpage