The University Center for the Child and the Family (UCCF) at the University of Michigan is now offering new Expert Consultation services for parents. These stand-alone, single-session consults provide access to clinicians with expertise in a wide variety of child, developmental and family concerns.
What to Expect from a UCCF Expert Consultation
During the 45-minute session, an expert clinician obtains a brief overview of the client concerns and history. Based on the client needs, the clinician then provides specific resources and strategies, including potential treatment recommendations, to help the family prioritize what steps to take next.
Clients can expect to leave an expert consultation with a better understanding of the scope — the size and importance — of the problem and actions to take now and in the future at different milestones.
Insurance may be used to cover costs of the a UCCF consultation; UCCF currently accepts BCBS, BCN, BCC, PHP (Michigan Care) and Meridian insurances. Standard deductibles and co-pays apply. Self-pay also accepted.
How Do I Know if an Expert Consultation is Right For Me?
Consultations may be useful when you:
- Have a concern but are unsure whether or not to seek clinical services.
- Are on a waitlist for mental health services, but are hoping to get ideas, strategies and resources to support their family more immediately.
- Are interested in therapy, but can’t commit to regular sessions because of lack of resources, time, money, and/or insurance coverage.
- Are interested in several possible services (e.g. individual therapy, parent therapy, testing services), but are unsure where to start.
- Are interested in testing services for a child, but want more information about the different testing approaches (e.g. neuropsychological testing, Autism Spectrum Disorder testing) and what to expect.
- Are already engaged in therapy services with a provider and they have recommended an expert consultation as a specialized supplement to ongoing care.
If this sounds like a good fit for you or if you are another clinician who would like to refer a client to our expert consultations, contact UCCF to learn more:
(734) 615-7853 or mari.umich.edu/contact-us.
About the University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF)
The University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF) is committed to helping children and families enjoy a happier life, more satisfying relationships, and increased success. UCCF is part of the Mary A. Rackham Institute (MARI) at the University of Michigan. MARI provides high-quality, individualized mental health, neuropsychological testing, and language and literacy services to the community through its service centers, including UCCF, University Center for Language and Learning (UCLL), and University Psychological Clinic.